Saturday, November 20, 2010

WWJD - What Would Jesus DRIVE?

Sometimes I struggle with my feelings about religion.  Not God, and maybe not even the institution of religion…. More specifically – crazy-religious-people.  Growing up in a very strict religious background, I have encountered my fair share of CRAZIES.    My toleration of CRAZIES fluctuates… sometimes I use it as my entertainment, sometimes I feel like I’m going to smack the crap out of them.
*cartoon representation of various crazy people*

A few months back I was forwarded this email.  THIS IS A REAL EMAIL from a REAL PERSON.  I have removed the names to protect the crazy, I mean, the innocent.
The bank just towed my car away so I am depending on the will of God to get me where I need to be.  I am excited to see what God has in store for me…I wonder what He is going to do next.  Waiting on Him…and reminding myself of Jeremiah 29:11 and the fact that the car was too small anyway.
 Pray for a vehicle in good condition to be donated to my ministry according to His will.  A Lexus would be nice, I like the color white or pearl, and a working CD to play my worship music…less than 80,000 miles.  He says to pray specifically….can you help me out and add this to your prayer list? 
 I know God would not want to drive around in junk and since He goes with me everywhere, I'm sure He'll want to be comfortable.
 This email left me speechless, which is rare.   I read it several times and felt a combination of disgust and amusement.   I created a response:
"I am excited to see what God has in store for me…I wonder what He is going to do next."
I think I know what God has in store for you next.....  God wants to introduce you to PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.  

“The car was too small anyway” If the car was too small, then why did you buy it to begin with?   I bet that God wants you to make responsible choices the first time. And, here’s a thoughtMaybe God wants you to ONLY BUY CARS THAT YOU CAN AFFORD.
*disclaimer - Jesus DOES want you to get good gas mileage*

 “Waiting on Him…”  If I had to guess…..God wants you to stop “waiting on him” .. go out and get a job, or a second job, or re-think your budget.  God gave you a brain, so how about you giving that a try while you’re “waiting?”
“I know God would not want to drive around in junk and since He goes with me everywhere, I’m sure He’ll want to be comfortable.” 
Comfortable?    Really?!?    I would *LOVE* to see Jesus riding around in your pearl-colored Lexus.  I think Jesus WALKED everywhere or he rode a DONKEY. 
Yeah, riding on a DONKEY in the heat without a CD player sounds super-comfortable.  But, the donkey only had 26,000 thousand miles on it, so it was a practically new donkey. 
JESUS hung out with lepers, and poor people, and had no worldly belongings.  I doubt he really cares if you’re driving a Lexus, a Ford Festiva, or a 1998 Chevy station-wagon. 
Stop embarrassing Jesus.  There are people in the world that are dying, or fighting for their lives, or that are homeless, and you want GOD to GIVE YOU A LEXUS?   Really??
Please dear GOD, please give her a Schwinn Bicycle. 

 I swear, if she ends up with a pearl-colored Lexus.. I'm going to stop making payments on my used mini-van and start praying for a black Mercedes convertible.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. Charity leads to dependency when the receiver assumes its future with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thnk it might have been funny to have Jesus shooting "the bird" in that photo of him on the bicycle. then you could have also added that photo to the "things that are just wrong" blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, my friend! Well said!

    ReplyDelete